Wheat germ is part of a wheat kernel and is responsible for helping the plant reproduce and spawn new wheat. Although it’s removed from most processed wheat products, it is a major nutritional component of whole grain wheat. It has excellent nutritional value as a food supplement such as vegetable proteins, fibre, healthy fats, magnesium, zinc, thiamin, folate, potassium, and phosphorus.
What does these nutritional value benefits to our health?
1) Zinc helps to strengthen your immune system and fight viruses, like the common cold.
2) Magnesium also helps to boost your immune system, in addition to helping keep your heart and bones strong.
3) Phosphorus helps to repair and grow tissue with the help of calcium.
4) Manganese plays an important role in bone health and maintaining the immune system.
5) Another benefit of wheat germ is that it’s high in dietary fiber. Dietary fiber helps your body to maintain regular, healthy bowel movements. Additionally, a diet high in fiber helps to regulate blood cholesterol levels.
Some research suggests that wheat germ can aid in boosting your immunity and help to keep your heart and cardiovascular system healthy.
Uses of Wheat Germ
Despite of all the health benefits mentioned above, for people who are gluten intolerant or have gluten allergies should avoid wheat germ supplements, as it contains gluten. People who are on a low-carb diet should be mindful of their portion of wheat germ, as one cup contains nearly 60 grams of carbohydrates.